Friday 2 May 2014

Lowering Blood Pressure

I am a Granny, after all, and I have age related health issues that I am trying to prevent.  One of these is high blood pressure.  I am the second oldest of five and every one of my brothers and sisters and both my parents are on blood pressure medication.  The only thing I think has saved me so far has been my normal weight and my calm demeanor (or stoned countenance).  The last time I was at the doctor, it was high.  He is not a pill pusher and asked me to come back in three months to have it rechecked.  May 21st is the day I have to answer to my lifestyle choices and heredity.

I have given up wine which I actually physically feel has improved my BP.  For the next three weeks I plan on incorporating some natural therapies to minimize my chances of walking out of that MD's office with a prescription.

I am taking two tablespoons of my kick-a-boo joy juice each morning.  It is a combination of home juiced lemon, ginger, garlic and organic apple cider vinegar.  I have the recipe if anyone wants it. Beets and cinnamon will be added to my diet in full force. 

My meditation routine is slowly easing it's way into my day to day life.  I am gently prodding myself to put 10,000 steps daily on my FitBit step tracker through walking or rebounding but because I am in my fledgling stage of sobriety, I will not be too tough on myself in this area. 

I am not a machine.  I am a tender, healing middle aged woman doing my best to optimize her health without over-burdening my fragile self-esteem with too many rules.

I just got back from the gym where I walked for forty five minutes while listening to The Bubble Hour.  Time just flew and I really racked up the steps.  Thanks again, ladies!!

4 comments:

  1. I love how you are taking responsibility for your health!! Remember, though, (as a doc I have to say this) that needing hypertension meds is sometimes genetically determined and almost nothing you can do life-style-wise will impact it enough to avoid meds. Since a stroke is such a horrific event to deal with, please don't feel a failure if do you need meds to keep your blood pressure down! And remember that going on meds for a while does not need you'll need them forever, as you continue to exercise and eat well. And as your body adjusts to not having to deal with metabolizing alcohol!

    This is the first time I've been to your blog- what a pleasure to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have chills just knowing that my blog is out there and comments are starting to come in. This in itself is a huge motivator for me to stay off the sauce. My doctor said, "It's not a matter of if you will be on BP meds, Deb, it's a matter of when. Let's see if we can hold it off as long as possible with lifestyle changes." So, although my 65 year old husband is still not popping pills, I will accept my doctor's recommendations no matter what. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your professional advice. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. "I am not a machine. I am a tender, healing middle aged woman doing my best to optimize her health without over-burdening my fragile self-esteem with too many rules." I love this. You can add wise and brave and many other wonderful adjectives to that sentence. Wine has no place in your life! And yes please I want to know about the kick-a-boo juice .. what is the recipe and what is it supposed to be good for? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mrs. D. I'll post the recipe and the benefits on my next post. This blog is the fourth I've started and I think I finally got the hang of the widgets, the stats, the whole shebang. There's nothing stopping me now!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete