Wednesday 28 May 2014

We Got Our Building Permit!!

... finally.  We have been between homes for a few months now and currently are either sleeping at the office or camping on the building site.  Imagine, it's the end of May and it's too cold to sit outside some nights.  Love my Country but the weather is not the reason why. 

Around these parts (Ottawa, the Capital of Canada) obtaining a building permit is, both expensive and time consuming.  We started the process a few months ago and today we finally got word that we can begin construction.  My husband is a contractor and has built many houses so it's a three month seamless procedure from here on in.

My whole world is changing and my new life will be different for the following reasons:

Old Life - living in a French speaking community
New Life - living in an English speaking community

Old Life - no friends besides kind people who tried to communicate with me out of pity (or so it seemed)
New Life - already made tons of acquaintances in my new neighborhood including my neighbor across the street who runs a B & B with an indoor pool and has invited me to do water aerobics once or twice a week with her

Old Life - 45 minute drive from my family including my three kids and four grandchildren
New Life - everyone living in my neighborhood or a short jaunt away

Old Life - resided in a cottage by the river and thought I would be sacrificing this to be closer to family
New Life - by coincidence the lot we purchased is across the street from a meandering river and we have access to miles of trails that begin a ONE minute walk from home (surprise!!)

Old Life - spent my evenings at home with glass after glass of red wine lulling me to ambivalence
New Life - I DON'T DRINK but have lots to do in the evenings including visiting family, yoga, keyboarding, reading, meditating, taking courses, going to the library, socializing with neighbors and friends, walking on trails, etc.

Old Life - feeling hollow, empty and lethargic
New Life - being present, alive, interested and interesting, active, sociable and happy

I even found a little spot at the back of the property where I am hacking my way through vines and overgrowth to create a little secret garden in which to meditate and commune with nature.

Feeling a lot of GRATITUDE right now.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your building permit! And wishing you all the best for your new chapter...x

    ReplyDelete