Wednesday 25 June 2014

Day 60 - I Couldn't Have Done it Without You!

I can't believe I made it!! Day 60!! That's double any previous abstinence periods.

I am sitting in a trailer that's only one level up from a tent trailer (we sleep under canvas but the centre of the trailer is solid), we are mired in knee deep mud because the universe decided that the year Debbie builds her dream home will be the year of the torrential rains, and my husband and I are literally on top of each other most of the time.  We have a new neighbor on our new street that is an alcoholic and makes his own wine and beer.  He delights in bringing his hooch over every day at 4:00 pm to share with us and does not let up when I repeatedly explain that I don't drink.

Hubby always has wine and beer sitting on the trailer shelf which can be very tempting or annoying depending on my mood.

We've just started going to the lake house on the weekends (yes, I appreciate how lucky I am) where the booze is always flowing and the friends drop in unannounced.

So, against all odds, I've managed sobriety.  It's not because I'm a hero.  It's not because I hit rock bottom.  It's because in my little world, the time had come.  It was relatively easy  because I was truly ready to turn the page and begin the next phase of my life.  It was a quiet knowing that sober was the only direction worth travelling; that another cycle could not begin.  In other words, I was ready.

I don't know much about addiction but I do know that when the addicted is attempting to give up his drug of choice, he (or she) must be solidly sure of his desire to stop using in order for there to be a hope in hell of success.

In previous attempts, I believed that abstinence was synonymous with deprivation.  I thought about what I was missing... ALOT.  This time my mindset tended to lean towards gratitude and the gains that being fully present offered.  I've carried this mindset with me throughout the past two months and I've been sober, happy and a lot more confident.

What's really helped are the people who've read and commented on my blog, my supportive friends at mywayout.org, the Bubble Hour podcasts, my 100 day A/F commitment to Bella's community and reading other sober blogs.  A community of support is mandatory for success in my opinion.

I've reached a small milestone and hope to reach many more.  To all of you reading this, thank you from the bottom of my heart!  The positive energy has been received and I'm sending it right back out to you!

xoxo

8 comments:

  1. congratulations to you! right there with you. you're right- how we decide to look at being alcohol free (deprivation versus gratitude for the blessings) is a choice and makes all the difference. love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you for 60 days. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I'm right behind you ;) Ginger MWO

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's because in my little world, the time had come." Sounds so simple once you get there and yet it's the only way. The only way to run faster is to run faster. The only way to stop drinking is to stop drinking. At some point there has to be a day one and a day two... I'll be at 90 tomorrow and although very occasionally when I'm under stress the wine aisle is irritatingly apparent, it really is irritating now. I really don't want it, it can throw itself off a flaming cliff and take its false promises with it. I reckon it was around the 60 mark that I really knew it was forever: I'm not just biding my time until I'm healthier, I'm not changing my mind, I've got my mind back and I'm keeping it. Well done you. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 60 days...I look forward to the day I can celebrate that too. Both you and the person above are right about one thing: when the time comes it will just be easy. I know because I've done it before for several years only to give in to having a beer thinking it would be okay since wine has always been my demon. Definitely a decision I regret. Your willingness to share your journey is helping me and others I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi was roaming around Mrs D's blog and linked into your blog, love the photo at the top of your blog. I love pictures of flowers they chill me out. 60 days is huge. I LOVE sobriety have been sober a while. It is a weird feeling being at peace. Love all the extra free time that I have since I stopped drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 60 days seems like a great achievement! I look forward to reaching it. I like what you said about focussing on the gains rather than the losses. I had a tricky day yesterday but wrote a list of all the things I have gained by not drinking before bed and had a good day today. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments. You made it even sweeter. Thinking positive thoughts can be challenging but after a while it gets easier. I love the 'peace' reference. I think that is what I feel: Peace

    ReplyDelete