Monday 9 June 2014

The Joys of Sobriety

I have a heck of a lot of work to do and most of it needs to be done on the second floor of a commercial condominium with no A/C and it is getting stinking hot in my part of the world.  I have to do all the paperwork and physical packing to move us from Quebec to Ontario while hubby and his crew do the actual building of the house.  It is a bit overwhelming as I hate driving and it's a 45 minute drive each way.  Once the work is done, I will be free to STAY in my new temporary home which is a trailer on the property we are building on so the incentive is there. 

I figure I have about two to three weeks of work and today I am going to make a list of what needs to be done and in what order it needs to be accomplished.  I can hardly wait to hand over the keys to the purchaser and say Goodbye to this phase of my life which I've left emotionally for some time.  Without my sobriety I would be panicking and my blood pressure would be sky high. 

Speaking of BP, mine is DOWN!! So far at age 57, no pills, no ills and no aches or pains.  Mine was wavering on being medication worthy but by not drinking and being happier and more active, I have been able to delay that inevitability.

On a lighter note, I am a Granny once more.  My daughter gave birth to her first and she is a six pound bundle of joy.  She looks like a tiny porcelain doll and feels light as a feather in my arms.  I am so enjoying my new Sober Granny Life.  I had the three year old sleep at the trailer with me on Saturday.  She was delighted to be 'camping' at Granny's. 

Last night at 11:40 pm my daughter, the new Mother, called me to ask if the baby nursing all the time was normal.  What a pleasure it was to not worry about whether I was slurring or to whether she could tell my mouth was dry and I was half corked.  We chatted for fifteen minutes and I felt needed and appreciated. 

Sobriety is the singular best gift I've ever received and the wondrous thing about it is that it was always within my reach.  I just didn't know it.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing to open the door and answer the phone sober? My BP is normal too... I always thought it was high because of my weight. Turns out it was booze, but of course I never mentioned that. Bit like my mother-in-law claiming only to use a light sprinkling of salt. Woman must have blood like the Dead Sea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. burst out laughing about the Dead Sea... very happy to be sober and to have you along for the ride... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women's sober living Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.

    ReplyDelete