Friday 8 May 2015

My Life's Work: Quitting DrinkingI f

In order for my true self to feel at home on this planet, in this universe and in my body, I need to allow all of life's emotions to run their course through my body, mind, heart and soul.  In order to do this I need to stop self medicating with alcohol and other veils and distractions.

I am addicted to hiding behind the filter of chemically induced passivity.  It's the coward's way out of the reality of life.  Life is full of difficulties.  Right now there are mini-crises going on all around me as I am sure they are for you too.  I had decided to accept myself as a failure at abstinence and just be aware of my tendency to slowly increase my intake and to avoid going that route.

Surprise !!! Drinking has become a daily obsession again.  I am now into the vodka.  I had always been a wine drinker but hubby and I have switched to vodka recently.  It started with a drink after work but I am aware that lately it's more than one ad nauseum... blah blah blah.

Quitting drinking is becoming my life's work.  How sad is that.  I feel like such a fraud.

I have reset my sobriety tracker to day one and therefore have begun another run at it.

What honestly triggered this kick at the can was an incident that happened last night.  Details ... you want details..

After work, I made myself a vodka and something or other and hubby declined as we had drank cognac the night before and he was still feeling it....Afterwards, we went to a great vegan restaurant to celebrate hubby's son's birthday.  As we had no reservations we waited an hour for a table across the street at a bar.  I had a large draft beer there.  Hubby also had one.  When our table was ready, we crossed over and the three of us enjoyed great conversation and a bottle of red with the delicious, nutritious food that accompanied the wine.  On the drive home all was well.  Just as we were pulling into the lane way at home, I brought up a touchy subject and hubby lost it.  By 'lost it' I mean, got angry and accused me of having ill intentions and being conniving.  Whether he was right or wrong doesn't matter because in my mind, I was being attacked unfairly and in his mind, I was deserving of his wrath.  It was not abusive but because we never fight, it was unsettling.  He continued berating me in the house and woke up the little one that lives here who started balling.  I escaped to my bathroom and ran a bath.  I heard hubby stomping around the house and when I came out of the bathroom he had camped out on the couch for the night.  I went to bed.

This crazy, useless exchange between us was definitely fueled by alcohol.  I sent him a text this morning trying to smooth things over and have had no response as of yet.

Why?  Why? Why?

So I begin a new chapter in the battle of the booze.  I feel like the West in it's battle with terrorism;  it never ends. A new battle is always raging and a victory is only a hiccup in the long war.  How discouraging.

Last weekend I tried not to drink while entertaining company at the lake house and hubby was disappointed that I was so quiet.  Screw that!!  Take me or leave me.  I can't continue to drink so he remains pleasantly entertained.  What kind of life am I actively deciding to live?

I could go on but I'll end by saying, thanks for all your support and encouragement.  Can't promise anything except another go at it.

5 comments:

  1. Did he tell you he was disappointed you were quiet, or is that just how you think he feels?
    Do you think he would join you in not drinking for a while? Maybe discussing how alcohol fuels these unreasonable arguments might be a start.
    No booze has made a huge change in how my hubby and I relate. It's rare that a disagreement turns into a big fight when you are calm.

    You can do it. Perhaps it feels like it has to be your life's work now,but soon enough you will see that you life has so much to offer you when the haze of booze is removed.

    Try again. It's worth it.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are making another go at it. It sounds like your true self knows AL has to leave your life. I'm always here for you, my very first quit sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Quitting drinking is becoming my life's work. How sad is that. I feel like such a fraud. "

    I don't think it's sad Deb.... I think it's great! It is our life's work. It is work! Being healthy..... mind, body, soul healthy takes work.....and only when we work it.... we will find success.

    Everyday, I have to remember that I'm working on this journey to freedom from the booze and feeling like shit. Every single day, I need reminders of where I'm going and what I want in my life. Every day, I decide I don't want to numb the feelings anymore and I'm learning to deal with feeling the feelings now.
    Life is work in progress.......
    One day at a Time!
    Glad you're back.....
    You'll get what you want if you really want it. The freedom. Keep working for it.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Quitting drinking is becoming my life's work. How sad is that. I feel like such a fraud. "

    I don't think it's sad Deb.... I think it's great! It is our life's work. It is work! Being healthy..... mind, body, soul healthy takes work.....and only when we work it.... we will find success.

    Everyday, I have to remember that I'm working on this journey to freedom from the booze and feeling like shit. Every single day, I need reminders of where I'm going and what I want in my life. Every day, I decide I don't want to numb the feelings anymore and I'm learning to deal with feeling the feelings now.
    Life is work in progress.......
    One day at a Time!
    Glad you're back.....
    You'll get what you want if you really want it. The freedom. Keep working for it.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just catching up, so I'm reading in order. Sorry you had a bad night. Husband and I have had some terrible fights over the years. "Conniving" is one of those nasty hurtful words that tend to be aimed at wicked women isn't it? I suspect he threw it in there because he knew it would sting, I doubt you'd still be married if he meant it.

    You are not a fraud for being human. Actually what you are is honest and open. It's the people who appear to be perfect that you have to watch out for, because they hide deep dark secrets. You just happen to have learned that using something readily available and perfectly legal is fun and helps with everyday stress. The problem is it doesn't help any more, in fact it makes you feel worse, but for a long time it probably was fun and it probably did help, so it isn't surprising that the memories are hard to erase.

    Strive to be who you want to be, but don't hate yourself on the way or you'll never reach your destination. Hard though isn't it, when you've set your mind on something. Those uncomfortable feelings don't half seem real.

    ReplyDelete