Tuesday 6 January 2015

Merlot on the Counter

The bottle of expensive Merlot was a gift.  We received it on Saturday evening as a gift from our next door neighbors as we had finally found the time to invite them over for a visit to thank them for all they had done for us while we were under construction.  They had 'lent' us electricity and water: two essentials when building a house and brought us much bounty from their overflowing vegetable garden and berry bushes.

It was also my first abstinent day in ages.  I always seem to choose Day Ones in the difficult category: ie - Friday or Saturday nights when we are socializing.  As they don't drink red wine and hubby was drinking beer we did not open the bottle.  It's sitting on the counter beckoning me.

Yesterday I made a lovely roasted root vegetable and chicken dinner and hubby was offering us a glass.  We all politely declined for different reasons: Son was playing hockey later on in the evening so had to decline.  DIL had just bought herself a new bikini for her trip to Cuba in a week and a half so she couldn't afford the extra calories and I had my reasons.  Hubby didn't want to drink alone.  So it's still there, unopened.

There will always be temptations and in a way it's good to have them in my face now in order to get used to them and desensitize myself to their pull.  That's my current theory any how.

My daily 6:00 a.m. jaunts across the street to meditate is a great incentive to stay on track and so is the knitting project.  Hubby was shocked and surprised when I told him I was knitting something for myself.  He commented that I never do anything for myself.  It's funny because I feel selfish sometimes when I take time for myself and over self-indulgent.  It's all in the perspective, eh..

So day four today....


No comments:

Post a Comment