Thursday 9 October 2014

So Close but Yet So Far...

The house is almost built.  The weather is dipping dangerously close to 0 (Celsius freezing point) and my fingers are freezing as I type this post.  The trailer heater can't seem to keep us warm.  We are sleeping in the house on a temporary bed in the spare room so that is great.  Hopefully by the end of this long Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, we'll be able to work and 'live' inside.  Our furniture won't be installed for a few weeks since the interior work has to be done first but we can sort of camp inside after this weekend.

I long for the near future when I can cook a meal, bake cookies, have a bath and watch TV (even though I was never a real TV person).  I look forward to entertaining, reading a good book or knitting in a warm cozy room and jumping on my rebounder out of my neighbors view.  I can't wait to practice yoga, play the keyboard, have my grandchildren over and regain a measure of privacy. Meditation without the background noise of saws and motors will be heaven. All these privileges will, again, be mine, at the end of October.

We don't appreciate what we have until it's taken away from us.  Believe me, I will appreciate it all. Every day in my new home will be a sober celebration of all that I have and all that I can do.

I have boxes of clothes and shoes I packed away in the early spring thinking that we would be done by the time the cold weather hit.  I was wrong and I've been wearing the same warmish clothes for the past few months.  Our summer was cold and soggy and sometimes I don't think I will ever warm up. My feet will be so relieved to be shod in my comfortable boots rather than my old tennis shoes.

This sounds like a complaining post but to me it's a reminder that the end is near and very, very soon my world will turn back into the middle class, comfortable one that I took for granted all these years.

I commit myself to running a minimalist home and saving money whenever and wherever I can. My husband has worked so hard and for the first time in our relationship, we have debt that concerns me.I want to work toward relieving us of this debt as soon as possible.  I am eager for the challenge.

Hurry up, November!

No comments:

Post a Comment