Tuesday 28 October 2014

So Far So Good

My weekend went swimmingly.  I did have some internal dialogue about drinking 4% draft beer at a pub we ate at.  I came close to drinking but due to the ten minute car ride to the pub, I had time to dip into my tool box and remind myself to wait a night and to sleep on it before breaking my abstinence.  Of course the next day I was happy I didn't drink.  I really did enjoy the soda with lemon and lime wedges with my spinach mandarin orange salad and prime rib.

Besides that, it was a breeze.  Staying close to my cyber sober world though.  Lesson learned.

I've been able to bathe in my claw foot tub all weekend and I'm over-doing it after not having access to my beloved bath during our six months of camping.  This morning I started the day by washing my short hair immediately upon rising. The water in my hair and on my face REALLY invigorated me and caused me to get much more done with an earlier start than usual.  I put my warm sweater on with a jacket on top, donned my gloves and rubber boots and spent the better part of the morning cleaning the deserted camping area since we've moved to the house.  This involved taking down two huge tents, taking five wheel barrows full of garbage to the large container we've rented and bringing lots of material to the house.  I felt satisfied with my work and that is a new feeling.

I looked at some recipes and actually put the needed items on a grocery list. I hope to make two healthy recipes for supper.  There are so many things I love doing that booze has held me back from.  They include cooking from recipes, spending more time in the woods, fixing up my little secret garden in the back of our property, meditating and the list goes on.

By the end of next week, we should be move in ready.  Our furniture is in a POD parked outside the house.  When we empty the pods, I'll be able to sleep in a bed, put my clothes in a dresser or on hangers in the closet (putting the rods up today), wear clothes that make me feel feminine, eat off nice dishes and many other mundane things.  We take our middle class lives for granted but now that I've lived very simply for the past six months, I want to maintain that simplicity while enjoying some of the former perks of life.

So far so good!

3 comments:

  1. Wow that settled in feeling must feel so good eventhough you still have work to do! One day at a time is all we can do...keep reading and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Deb. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and it was also so good to browse through your blogs post. I am glad to get connected with you though I am from a city of Mumbai, India. I liked what you said in your profile that you love the written Word and started blogging as a means to reach many kindred Spirits and to learn,communicate and support each other with this wonderful life. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have your grown up children or even grand children if they are in their teens to come and work with us during their vacation time. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note and Mumbai is a place that holds a lot of interest for me and many other Canadians. Unfortunately, we have no potential missionaries in our family but are in admiration of those who venture forth and help out. Any help I may provide will come from the written word; that's where my interest lies. I am glad you enjoyed reading my entries and profile. I was happy to hear from an Indian as I am excited to be among people with cultural differences from myself. I've been experimenting with Indian cooking lately and I must say, you people really know how to eat!! Thanks, for dropping by Diwakar!

      Delete