Tuesday 22 July 2014

It Wasn't Always Like This

I was trying to figure out when I decided that I had a problem with alcohol and after a bit of research, I realized that I have been attempting to control my drinking for more than seven years.  I was drinking too much and too often for about five years before that but you know how it is.  It takes a while to develop a problem, even more time to recognize it as a problem.

For you who are just starting out and reading my blog, it may seem that it's easy for me and that life is all sunshine and buttercups.  While I'll admit life is pretty darn good right now it wasn't always like this.  

I started to drink because it was there and sociably acceptable.  I began to do so heavily because my teenaged kids were causing me alarm and grief and I was a lonely single mother trying to make ends meet.  It seemed to buffer me from the guilt, frustration and fear I felt in my role of imperfect mother.

I continued to drink when those problems abated with the maturity of my children because the seed had been planted deeply.  I was used to being numb and the idea of being authentic did not appeal to me.  I did not want to be me. 

When hubby and I were alone most evenings, I cooked fabulous food and it seemed that we needed a bottle of red to complete the meal.  When friends or family would visit I would be the first one to pop the cork and offer wine to all.  We made our own so at $3.00 a bottle I could afford to be generous. 

Sometimes at 3:00 pm, I would allow myself to open the bottle with a little guilt that was soon overridden by the 'I deserve this' excuse.

Those seven years of constantly obsessing over my drinking and making one futile attempt after another to slow down are lost years.  I will not get them back.  Within that period, I had many enjoyable evenings that included booze but I also had countless memory lapses, burns, bruises, headaches, hangovers and inner turmoil.

My days were often filled with self-loathing and despair as no matter how honorable my intentions were, I could not kick alcohol to the curb.  I was as sincere about quitting then as I am now.  I've gone over the reasons I believe it's working now many times so I'll leave that issue alone at this time but I was never able to stop for a prolonged period until now.

I have discarded countless handwritten journal entries, notes to self and resolutions that exposed me as the failure I felt like at that time.  I know I should have kept them for posterity but they all said the same thing.  In them, I listed the reasons I should quit, made firm promises to quit and listed what habits would replace to booze drinking.   

I started numerous sobriety blogs that didn't go anywhere.  I announced my sobriety to my family, then usually took a drink within days. I was always in conflict with myself.  My soul wanted me to stop the insanity but my ego constantly justified an opportunity to drink. 

When I did break a period of abstinence, it seemed to happen behind my own back.  It's like I would come to and find a drink in my hand.  Whoa !! Where did this come from??  I'd then shrug and coast along until three a.m. when the self-loathing and half-assed promises would come to pass again.

I didn't think I had the willpower to succeed.  I turns out that I didn't need willpower at all.  We all do exactly what we truly want to do in life. 

At the time, I wanted to drink.  Now I don't.  It sounds simple and even arrogant to put it like that but it's my story.  If I wanted to drink I couldn't stop myself.  I never could.  I can't control my candy or coffee intake at the moment.  There's no use fighting it because I haven't reached the point where my soul is in line with my brain.  Who cares .. it's just candy and coffee. 

Now you might understand why I feel so much gratitude.  To who or what I am not sure; I'm thanking the universe at the moment.  I feel (and this is a little self-patronizing) that I have a purpose in this life and I am slowly aligning myself with the path I need to take to fulfill my destiny. 

My purpose may be an understated one; but a purpose all the same.  We all have one.



7 comments:

  1. Wow that is so true "I didn't need willpower, we all do exactly what we want to do in life". So I often I read or hear people who have reached a goal; be it sobriety, weightloss or even fitness say 'something just clicked this time' and I think that is why, the need to do it or the desire to do it just became strong enough. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I figured that out it was a lot easier. I figure our ego and our heart are often in conflict and the stronger one usually wins... sounds simple ... maybe I'm oversimplifying it. works for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm having a little cry over this post. Thank you for your honesty and openness... it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I saw you on Mrs. D's little telly interview and you are lovely. As fragile as we are with respect to our self-worth, we really do matter. Our job on earth is to clear the way for our destiny, our raison d'etre. So happy we are on this journey together. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was very touching and hit home with me. It reminds me of my first stent of several years of sobriety. It wasn't hard because I honestly did not want to drink anymore and the knowledge of how poisonous it is to our bodies made it easy. Fast forward and I thought after all that time I could moderate..not so my friends and don't even consider trying as it will not work. I have decided I need the support of the online world to stay sober this time. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great warning... I am trying to stay so vigilant but it's hard because I feel like it's easy. Wolfie can come clawing at the door in a few years and blindside me.. I appreciate YOUR honesty. You may have saved me a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I've been feeling a little fragile lately and this has really helped me to remember all my broken promises and how it feels to always be a failure. I don't need that, do I? I'm just tired, nothing more, and tired people need rest not booze x

    ReplyDelete