Thursday 24 July 2014

Three Months Sober Today

Yesterday, against all odds, I finally completed what's turned out to be, about six weeks of difficult work that combined the physical move of two furnished dwellings and the administrative move from one province to another of a mid-size company.  There are a few loose ends but the bulk of the work was completed yesterday in my sweltering hot trailer with beloved out of town guests lingering outside patiently awaiting my attention.  From this day forward I will be able to do office work for about two hours a day and dedicate the remaining time to doing things I love. 

As my husband and his crew work in this oppressive heat building our home, I am free to ensure hubby gets well nourished.  I've decided that rather than trying to create complex meals in these conditions, I will take advantage of the season and serve plenty of raw veggies, fruits, salads and grains.  I am fortunate in that hubby will eat anything put in front of him.  That will be my priority and yes, I do love doing this. 

I've got a ton of wonderful books to go through.  Including my e-reader downloads, the number has grown to over twenty so that should keep me occupied. 

I can now actually immerse myself in Tara Brach's meditation podcasts without the distraction of a job not completed.

I can take my lawn chair down to the river (a few houses down) and sit quietly under that special tree I've adopted and read, think and just be.  I was there for half an hour a few days ago and you will never guess what happened.  As I was sitting immersed in my book, I was distracted by the presence of something furry.  Thinking it was a squirrel, I glanced down.  To my delight, there, at my feet, looking at me with open curiosity was a baby beaver.  At first I thought it was a ground hog but the hump on his back and his solid tail alerted me to the fact that I was being investigated by our nation's national symbolic animal.  The beaver was chosen for it's industrious, hard working manner but this little guy was playing, not working.  He was too young to be afraid and lingered for a while then quietly disappeared into the river reeds.

Every time I have run ins with wild animals, I feel closer to our creator, Mother Earth, the universe or nature..me being quite blasé about who or what our source is.. doesn't really matter to me but at the same time it means everything..

Once when meditating at the river, when I refocused my eyes, a red fox was running through the trees across the river.  Another time while sitting there, I was alerted to the sound of snorts and, to my delight, two young deer were furiously chasing each other along the riverbank.  I've had encounters with wild turkeys, blue herons and racoons.  Once, in the middle of the night, a family of racoons were loudly fighting on our porch over the bird seed and we got up to shoo them away.  Being stubborn animals they wouldn't leave so hubby resorted to using the water hose to disperse them.  A baby got separated from it's mother in the confusion and it was crying and desperately trying to get in the patio door to me.  My black rimmed eyes must have reminded him of his own momma. LOL.  Each time nature and I have encounters I feel wonderful. 

This weekend my daughter, her new baby, my daughter-in-law, my one year old grandson and I are heading to the lake for a girls weekend.  I can't wait to spend some quality time with the six week old.  With my crazy work load and my daughter's temporary home an hour away, I haven't been able to previously.  Hubby may or may not join us.  He hasn't decided.

I have to get going now as we are leaving today.  Life is wonderful and, at three months sober today, I am subtly aware that I am evolving into an authentic, experiential, vibrant member of society. 

... Lovin' it !!

2 comments:

  1. There is something very tender about the 3 month mark. I too live in a place where I can really appreciate nature and animals so I know what you mean. I finally logged in so that I don't have to post as anonymous anymore. My goal is to remain sober as I am turning 59 soon. Deb if I helped save you from a relapse then that makes me very happy! Moderation doesn't work and I'm living proof...and another point..if you start drinking again after a good stent of sobriety the amount you can tolerate is even higher because this is a progressive disease. Just more reasons to walk away from the wine glass....

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Deb, how awesome! Three months fantastic. I will get there one day. As you said the other day it may take many attempts but just keep trying. You sound like you are in such a good place emotionally. I have never seen a beaver. I have always wanted to but our wildlife is different. Next time I am across your side of the world I will look. Keep going. You are an inspiration to me and many others.

    Cherie xx

    ReplyDelete