Sunday 20 July 2014

Other Addictions..

I have given up booze but I am over achieving in the practice of my other comforting addictions. 

I am a candy, chocolate, chips and nut NUT!! The town we moved to has a well known bakery and I am doing the carte blanche thing with my sweet tooth.  I've also been enjoying chai lattes and yummy veggie sandwiches at little coffee house I've discovered down the street.  Just this weekend alone at the lake house I ate a half dozen coconut macaroons, two slices each of raspberry pie, blueberry flan and pumpkin cake; all of which my three year old granddaughter and I created together.

For breakfast this morning, I used my waffle iron and made lovely waffles.  They've become our weekend tradition.  Buckwheat and whole wheat flour, coconut oil, agave nectar, almond milk, free-range eggs and vanilla are the key ingredients.  Despite being very healthy, they are crispy, tasty and when fresh berries and just whipped cream are served alongside the Quebec Maple Syrup, it's heaven on a plate... so I had heaven on a plate with bacon.. so you can see I'm overdoing the sweets.

My coffee intake is a little much at times.  I can't seem to stop at one.  It's a similar addiction to booze in my opinion.. I will beat this one too .. just because I want another challenge... mind over matter.

I am seeking attention and reassurance from my husband or at least I am very aware of doing it right now.  I may have been doing it all along but I sure think it's pathetic at the moment.  I've caught myself and nipped it in the bud a few times which I'm happy about.

No weight gain with all this self-indulgence because I am very active in the summer maintaining the both properties and I do a lot of stairs at the lake house. 

I think I'm going to keep things status quo and allow myself all the stuff I need to fill the 'God' hole as my sweet nephew puts it.  When I get that rise up of cravings, I eat sweets, drink caffeine or do other unmentionables.  I want to cut down on these other bad habits but I have to protect my quit and I think I still need what booze gave me.  I am managing to get it from other sources. 

It's the need I have to get rid of.

5 comments:

  1. From my understanding, and I am not an expert, but people with a history of alcohol abuse have addictive personalities. I did see a counsellor once and we broached the subject, but this was before I admitted to having a problem.

    On a lovely note, vege sandwiches and chai latte's sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah food or drink, it all seems so similar, we are looking to full up on something. I had been filling up on both for the last few years and kind of treating my body like a garbage bin! I have just hit the 30 day mark with my non drinking and am trying really hard to be more mindful with my eating also. Not fuzzing over my weight issues by blurring them out with a daily dose of wine has meant I can't ignore my size any longer. Hence my blog, I am trying to fill up on the inspiring stories of others rather than junk food and liquid calories! I really get my 'fix' of inspiration from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both stopped by. I am working on 'fixing' whatever it is that needs to take me away from just being me. It's like me alone without some sort of endorphin rush or without my pleasure centres being stimulated is not enough. Working on it and it's still early.

    On my Way, 30 days is fantastic. Stay close and I'll keep you full of inspiration if it's the only thing I manage. My Pollyanna outlook is doing someone some good and that makes me happy.. kind of fills my God hole.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that I have an addictive personality. I remember when I was in my 20s and I was a gym junkie, then I was a workaholic, then I was a gymaholic and workaholic, then I was a cleaning freak and then an alcoholic! Maybe I am just possessed. I do nothing by half measures and that certainly includes drinking. The interesting thing for me is that I gave up coffee instantly. I mean that I decided to stop drinking coffee and I did and I have not had a coffee for 4 years. If I can do that, surely I can give up drinking too. I used to be slim and I have all of these lovely work clothes in my wardrobe that I can't fit into. I think it is a product of alcohol and menopause but I am not chucking them away as I will get into them. One thing at a time. That is hard for an addict like me to rien myself in. You are an inspiration Deb. I will come to yours for lovely sweet things anytime. I love the lakes in Canada. They have been some of my best memories when we were travelling to London. Cherie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cherie, don't you feel that if we can beat our addiction to alcohol we can accomplish just about anything? Maybe I can follow your lead and give up coffee. I am not attempting until after we move into the home we are building. Living in a tent trailer gives me the excuse to indulge my addictions except the biggie... It was so hot today I thought I would die. Hubby was working outside in 37c heat. He felt like he was going to pass out a few times. The lake we are on is lovely with blue herons, beavers, loons and lots of very evasive fish... we are always feeding them worms but they never take the hook. LOL... stick with it Cherie. I really love your honesty on your blog and get a little thrill when I see you've posted. :-)

    ReplyDelete