Wednesday 2 July 2014

My Current Vice: Procrastination



"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James"


I thought that, with sobriety, all my bad habits would magically disappear to be instantly replaced with healthy, healing, goal reaching ones.  I really did.  I thought that by not drinking I would become a zen-like, conscious, proactive go-getter and that I could do anything I set my mind on.

In my naïve, immediate gratification geared mind, I must of skipped a step: the hard work, nose to the grindstone, disciplined part.  Two months into sobriety, I am still dealing with my inaction, procrastination and apathy.  This trio have been my life long companions along with my old friend, addiction.  I finally managed to shake off addiction (or keep him at arms length) but the others will need to go too if I am to become all that I am capable of. 

One barrier to my moving past procrastination is my inability to say no to those I love.  With three children all having babies at the same time, I am asked to babysit on a continuous basis which I love.  We are in the midst of a huge move from one province to another which involves not only me and hubby personally, but our Family Construction Business.  I need to dig deep, get the physical and administrative work done that's needed and for the time being, refuse most babysitting requests.  This is a tough one.  I

Today I made a list of what I will do in the next few working days.  It's a pretty simple list but I must stick to it.  I'll be accountable on this blog.  More important than a To Do list is learning to be active in this moment.  Rather than blogging about getting busy, I should get busy doing little things to work towards my goal of relocation completion. 

"Do it, and then you will feel motivated to do it." ~Zig Ziglar

It's the little steps that create a job fully accomplished.  By getting up early, getting in the car, heading to the office, sitting down at my desk and beginning to work, I am feeding my motivation and starving my procrastination. 

I will be contributing to my happiness if I can nip the inaction in the bud and find a way to be proactive more regularly. 

I welcome suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment