Thursday 31 July 2014

Not Thinking about Drinking

One of my main goals in discontinuing my alcohol consumption was to 'get the monkey off my back'; in other words to stop thinking about drinking.  You know, to stop planning on drinking, doing the dastardly deed, regretting the dastardly deed, planning on not drinking, attempting to not drink, then, inevitably, planning on drinking, etc. 

I've achieved my goal.  I am not thinking about it ... as much.  Of course, I'm still counting the days although I keep getting my numbers mixed up.  I am still explaining to people that I don't drink but no one seems to care one way or another.  Because of our temporary situation, living in a trailer and because it never stops raining, we are eating in restaurants a lot but I am drawn to a warm cup of tea lately so don't really miss the booze there.

So folks, for the most part, the monkey is off my back.  I plan on hanging around the sober blogs and my favourite sober forum, mywayout.org for a long time to reinforce my sobriety because I've heard that if I don't the chances of relapsing are high. 

I have a few other monkeys perched on my back.  The biggest, most destructive one is gone, but my ever seeking mind is now working on cutting back on a few other destructive habits; sugar being one of them.  I wish to see an end to seeking and I am reading up on it right now.  I am currently riveted by a book called The Deepest Acceptance, Radical Awakening in Ordinary Life by Jeff Foster.  It's about deeply accepting what comes to pass as it's already there... a little deeper than that but I'm not an accomplished writer.

I've already noticed that the other monkeys are light weights compared to Godzilla, the Wine Monkey, and at close to 100 days sober, I'm not as easy on them as I was before.  I was nervous to try to do much more than stay sober before but now, look out boys, I've got a plan to destroy you.

I don't have too many vices and some I'll keep (like morning coffee) but the sober me wants to live life authentically, in every way.  By my birthday in October, when we will be nicely settled in our new home, I hope to have established a moderate, vibrant life without excess. 

The book I am reading even lists spiritual seeking as a roadblock to living authentically and, being an all or nothing person, I understand that.  After I've read my bevy of spiritual books, I will, hopefully, only refer to them occasionally, and get on with living the good life.



2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. It really calms me when I start to get antsy in my early sobriety. But just have to let you know that morning coffee is NOT a vice. Study after study shows coffee prevents bladder cancer and is high in anti-oxidants. It is something you are doing good for yourself! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post very much i had nice time while reading your post

    ReplyDelete