Thursday 8 May 2014

I Washed My Face Last Night!!!

I'm a little bashful to admit this but I promised to be honest.  I haven't washed my face or brushed my teeth before bed in years and years.  I don't wear tons of make-up but that's not the point.  I fell into bed when I was drinking all those years and even during my many periods of brief abstinence, the habit never resurfaced.

Last night I found myself washing my face as if it was a daily ritual.  Go figure!

I had noticed that I was slowly incorporating some of the habits I was 'wishing' for will power to add to my daily routine, especially since I decided to live moment by moment and to throw away all the "from now on I will..." lists that I am so famous for.

But washing my face !!! That's a first.  This poor old face is the driest in Canada.  After I washed it, I slathered vitamin E cream all over it.  That is the thickest cream I had in my arsenal.  This morning my face is nice and soft and smooth.

I was reading a recovery blog (sorry I don't remember whose blog) and I read about her first few struggling months day by day and now she's at three and a half years.  When I skipped ahead to the present she is taking zumba and yoga classes and thinking of becoming a yoga instructor.  What motivation to continue with my own recovery.

There is a seed of change planted deeply inside my soul and it is germinating as I sit here now with my coffee blogging.  It was dormant for so many years and has finally felt the warmth and depth of my honest thoughts and actions.  This seed, like any other in nature,  could not be fooled by unseasonably warm weather.  It recognizes that my true spring has finally arrived.  If foul weather does not interrupt it, soon, it will split apart and a shoot will begin to grow. 

This shoot represents my true purpose in life. 

Last night I washed my face.

7 comments:

  1. so glad I found your blog, GGS! we have much in common....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found me!! I am still early in my sobriety but this blog sure helps keep me on track. Tell me more about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. same age range, early in sobriety, just trying to figure things out after way too many years in a fog...will stay close xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well do stay close and we can make this our journey. Together we are stronger than alone. I welcome you to submit your email address and we can communicate that way if you wish. Otherwise, I'm not going anywhere; I'll be around and journaling my triumphs, disappointments and challenges..

    ReplyDelete
  5. the slow slow slow unfolding and transformation….. that's the beautiful thing to witness… taking away alcohol slowly improves people… little bit by little bit. So great. Take these small beautiful developments and cherish them.. some shitty tough times will still come but they'll come fewer and farther in between the longer you go without drinking. Great stuff. Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have three grand angels and got sober at 62. I'm almost to 300 days and life is wonderful. Welcome and stay strong, you got this.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, 300 days. What an accomplishment! I don't want to waste another day buzzed ever again. Yo really are an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete