Thursday 1 May 2014

Immersing Myself in Sobriety

Right now I am so committed to abstaining from booze and I hope I can keep the momentum going forever.  I know it's impossible but I will do everything in my power to do so.

Reasons for staying sober in no particular order as my priorities are screwed up still:
  1. To get the monkey off my back; in other words, to stop wasting 80% of my life in alcohol related activities including drinking and especially obsessing over drinking
  2. To be the best Wife, Granny, Mother, and Friend I can be.
  3. To open the door to stimulating activities that cannot be done with booze in the picture as in spiritual searching, reading, gourmet cooking, writing, meditation, exercise, community involvement, knitting, making music and much more.
  4. To enter my menopausal years with a clear head, clean body, open mind and vulnerable heart.
  5. To enjoy my mornings at the lake house and at home without the dull headache, upset stomach, dry mouth and depressed mind that drinking wine the night before creates.
  6. To accomplish a goal, which in itself, will be the most difficult victory of my life and thus opening myself to endless, amazing possibilities.
  7. To be an encouraging example to beloved family members who struggle with their alcohol compulsions and who have only seen me try to abstain and fail time and time again.
What I am doing differently this time:
  1. Meditating most mornings
  2. Following numerous sobriety blogs and listening to podcasts such as The Bubble Hour
  3. Being actively involved in the My Way Out Forums
  4. Drinking tons of water
  5. Using this blog as an accountability tool
  6. Planning and designing a Serenity Room in my new home where I will retreat to ground myself on a daily basis
When I read what I've written above, I hope that it is enough to sustain me.  From everything I've read, it takes years of persistence to beat the beast.  I am not very consistent at the best of times so this is an especially big challenge for me.

Yikes!!


2 comments:

  1. Great list! I love it. You can do this.. I know it because if I can break an enthusiastic wine habit (me being entirely convinced that wine was a crucial part of life) then anyone can.. AND thousands of others like me have to! Great that you are blogging and diving into this sober sphere.. I'll add you to my Blog List so others can follow along your journey as well. Go well & take care.. you're in for a bumpy ride early on but trust that so long as you don't pick up wine things will slowly but surely start to smooth out. An uplift in your entire sense of wellbeing and authenticity is guaranteed.. so long as you push that nasty wine aside. We don't need that shit!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite the honour to hear from you. You are quite the celebrity in my social circles albeit most are sober woman's circles. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I have so much living to do and I want to participate in the rest of my life; not gaze at it through the haze of a wine glass. Ready for the bumpy ride and am so excited to know you'll have me on your blog list.

      Delete