Wednesday 7 May 2014

Think Present, Not Past or Future

When I'm sober for a year, I'm going to...

After 30 days I'll start doing ...

When we move into our new house my routine will be ...

I have spent oodles of time making plans for tomorrow.  It's a favourite past time of mine and I notice it when I read past blog posts, my journals, even my facebook posts.  In general there is nothing wrong with future plans but as a person who has never followed through on any plan I've made, I think it's of vital importance for me to live in the present. 

In the past, I've failed at every plan and promise I've made myself regarding lifestyle changes.

I planned on exercising daily.  I promised to take my supplements, floss my teeth, meditate and the list goes on.  All broken promises.  When I let my ego get it's nasty mind around my past failures, he is relentless in his criticism. 

But, in the present, here and now, I am SOBER!!  I am successful. I am happy.  I've ceased counting the sober days because today is the only important day (12 days for the record ;-). 

Each day is a new, sacred unfolding of potential.  I love watching the sun rise over the lake because, besides the beauty of nature awakening, the cyclical rotation of time reminds me that every day is a new opportunity for joy.

Even with life's outside influences, our happiness is totally in our hands.  We choose how we react, how we act, how we view life and how we live each day, each moment.  

Yes, I would like to eventually establish healthy routines such as rebounding for twenty minutes a day, meditating religiously, juicing, flossing, simplifying, gardening, reducing my computer time, etc. These are all great ideas. 

Right now, in this moment, I am sober and I am happy.  That is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment